The race was in St. George and was another relay set up like the ragnar I did a year ago that ran from Logan to Park City, but this race was only 50 miles not 280. For the race we had a team of five, and we each ran two legs ranging from 4-6 miles. So I was so excited, until I started running the first week and got sick half way into the week and it lasted a good solid week. So for me to be saying, I'm a little unprepared was an understatement!
The day came and others were having doubt and I was all for backing out due to my unpreparedness, but it didn't happened we went and we had fun! My response to my hubby was, I didn't die but I certainly was dead! My first leg was the first leg at 8am up the canyon close to snow, it was chilly and it was a 6 mile run! Yes, 6 miles, I haven't ran that since the first of my pregnancy (over a year!). I really didn't think I'd get that run cuz it was the longest but on the graph it looked like it was suppose to be ALL downhill - no it wasn't! 

See this picture, not sure if you can tell but it is a good gradual climb up a hill (felt like a mountain). The run did have a couple downhills but not enough to make it not seem like 6 miles. Anyway, I pulled it off and averaged 8.45 min miles. Good for me considering my condition.
Second leg was 4 1/2 miles pretty flat along a trail by the Virgin River (no one around). I start running and not even a mile into it these are my thoughts, "Am I done yet? My legs won't carry me anymore. What was I thinking. I can't do this. My body hates me! I thought I could do two runs in one day, are you crazy? I should have started with one run. I'm crazy! What if something happend to me or someone else, no one is around to find us, the first person to come upon us would be a runner and what would they do? What about snakes, it looks like there could be snakes around, what do I do if there is one on the trail? I can't go back cuz the van is gone, how do I go three + more mile I have nowhere to go..... but to keep on running!"
So I kept on running, slowly but running. I finished and boy was I glad to be done. It was fun! Now that it is over.
I look forward to doing it again but being in shape better. I ran with Jamie G, Heather, Jenn and Petnella (a friend of Jamie's), Shannon went as our driver - they are awewome! I am in awe of what their bodies can do. It was so fun being with girlfriends, chatting and having a little break. We finished 3rd out of 7 women teams (I know not alot, but we had pretty good time, there were mixed teams and mens teams too). We beat quite a few of the other teams too, so we were happy with how we did. We even got a prize, cute little fishing hats, a baton, and water bottle. This was the first year for the race so it was kinda small and really needs few changes but I can't wait to do it again! Thanks girls and I'm sorry body, I am paying for it now, I can barley walk!

3 comments:
Your so brave!! You crazy runners.
That's incredible! Good job!
p.s. Is that Heather Dewitt something standing in the back of the picture with you? I forget the name of the guy she married. I ran cross country with her in high school. She was so nice.
first of all you are amazing...enjoy the friendship and the common bond that you have it is sooo valuable....second way to update!!! and third....keep it up...Im impressed for sure:)
Post a Comment