So, last night Dave and I were reminded of an incident that happened during spring break in Mesquite. One that really needed to be recorded. First I will start with what triggered the memory. So, Colton is a really deep sleeper and I have commented many times about who knows where we have urine in our bathrooms becuase of the many sleepwalking incidents that Dave or I have caught. Now that his room is upstairs we don't hear him as much so who knows what goes on..... Anyway, last night we were up late and the kids had been in bed for a few hours. All of a sudden Colton is upstairs wandering around with just his underwear on. At first I think, he was hot so he stripped down and is just up going to the bathroom, then I think oh crap he peed the bed. We tried asking him what he was doing and if he peed the bed or if he needed to go the bathroom. No response. Dave goes and checks his bed, it is dry, he then checks his pjs and they too are dry, which ment there was no accident (thank goodness), so we lead him back to his room got his pjs back on and put him back in bed. After that Dave, says did you ever tell my mom about what happened in Mesquite. My response was no, I completely forgot all about that, I really need to get that written down.....
So here it is being recorded, so we never forget.
We rented a two bedroom condo but Colton didn't want to sleep in a bed with Abi or Jax so he slept out in the pull-out bed in the front room. We put the kids to bed and then stayed up late watching a movie in our room. We then went to sleep at around 1am. I was dead tired and wasn't sleeping too good, it seemed like there were different things that happened to wake me here and there. I finally got into a deep sleep one where you can hear something happening, but you are too tired to wake up and figure out that it is really happening, it isn't a dream. That is what kind of sleep I was in. I hear knocking on the door, but think it is my dream, I keep hearing it but I am in and out of sleep and too tired to comprehend what is going on, it keeps knocking and finally Dave jumps up and goes the our door and finds Colton out in the hall. What the?!? Colton had woke up, found his way out into the hall, went downstairs to the bathroom in the lobby and found his way back up to our room where it was locked and he couldn't get back in so he was banging on the door to wake us up. Oh my!
Who knows at what point he woke up and figured out where he was and what was going on, but I am sure glad he remembered what room number we were in and didn't get locked outoutside.
Man what a scary feeling and oh how happy I am that it turned out the way it did. It made me think about that couple that went to Europe or something and lost a kid that they said just wandered off in the night and they couldn't find him and the parents were being accused of stuff. I really had sympathy for them, cuz what if it was the same type of thing that happened - how sad. We are so lucky nothing bad happened. I think one of the reasons why I didn't tell anyone was possibly out of guilt, but really it was out of my control. What parent can control a sleep walker.... The front door was locked and dead bolted at the top but he is tall enough to reach so he was able to get out no problems.
Anyway, an experience I will never forget. I just hope next time we are in a hotel I will be able to get some sleep instead of sitting up all night worried about him escaping. Boy Colton, you sure are going to make me old fast. Love you to pieces!
Halloween 2009
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment