Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hard to say goodbye

With Grayson growing out of his clothes I've been needing to dig through the boxes to find more jammies for him to wear and put away the old - actually get rid of the old. So while I was down getting in the boy boxes I remembered I had told a friend I had baby girl clothes and she could have them, so I opened up Abigail's baby clothes and started going through them and making a pile to take over to my friend today and I was surprised at how much I still wanted to hold on to them. It kinda hurts to give them away and really be final. I love all the pink and purple, dresses, bows and cute frilly things that come with girls. I really was hoping to use those things again.
While I was making my pile I was thinking to myself, I'll just have to tell Michelle that if something should happen and a little baby girl did come into my future (which won't, but if it did) she will have to repay. During that time I was thinking I should hold on to these to remember how cute and little, but then I reminded myself we have pictures of cute little Abi wearing all these things. I realized that it wasn't the clothes that I was holding on to it was the memories that went along with the clothes. I could pick out her coming home outfit, her first studio picture outfit, different outfits for the little outings we had, my favorite little soft shoes, adorable dresses for easter, I could picture her in most all of the clothes, and I could go on and on.
Anyway, funny how it's hard to let go of things that bring us such happiness. I guess it was kinda my way of holding on to my baby girl. Hard to face the fact that she is growing up.

4 comments:

Michelle and Ben said...

Thanks Candice--you are the best! I am so grateful that you could part with the little things. Now one of my little girls can wear cute jammmies instead of the green and yellow ones the other two wore. If you ever need them back-- well they will probably be in storage at my house for a few years until I can part.

Melissa O said...

Oh I know that feeling, but mine is just pulling them out right now and remembering camryn and Reese in them. I'm going to cry my eyes out when it is time to get rid of all that stuff. They do grow up fast. Good thing they turn into teenagers that you want to kill, so when they leave the nest you are ready.

Us Egberts said...

And the memories will keep coming and they just get better and better...love you)

~Kris said...

I had a hard time parting with mine, too.
I am sending mine to an orphanage in Uganda.
You can always send them to a women's shelter, too.
That really makes you feel better knowing that your memories are going to help someone.