Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What a day/What a mom

Okay, so I have another post that I really shouldn't and usually wouldn't post or even admit happened. But because it is so funny and so not like me I have to do it. So, please don't judge me or look at me differently after you read this, I really am a good person and a good mom (most of the time).......

So today Grayon turned six months and his well child visit was at 9:15. Breakfast was done and the kids were off to school so it was just me and the little boys left to get ready and out the door. We hurried and got Jaxon dressed, he went potty, I loaded Grayson in his car seat along with his blankie, bink, and a toy. I turn around and put Jaxon's boots on and then headed out to start the truck so it can warm for a minute. Jaxon decides to go with me and gets in the truck to wait, I start the truck and head back into the house to turn lights off, grab Grayson and any other last minute things. I go back out hop in the truck and head to the Dr. Things are looking pretty good, I pull into the Dr office and look at the clock I am only 2 minutes late. Parking lot is clear only two other vehicles. As I park I, say, "Come on Jaxon, we gotta hurry." I get out of the truck, shut the door, go to open the door to get the boys, glance in the window and think to myself, that's kinda weird, looks different, wait, where is the car seat, oh my, where is Grayson!!! Oh my hell I forgot to grab him when I went back in the house to turn off the lights and grab last minute things..... I jump back the truck to head back home to get my baby who was left at home sitting in his car seat in the dark by the door (so much for not being late ), all the while laughing to myself (really at myself), remembering times I have seen on the news about parents leaving their kids in their vehicle and their excuse was they forgot they had them - whatever!?!. (that was my response before today). Which you know that is the reason this happened to me today - cuz I judged them and now look at me I am no better. The only think I can say in my defense is at lease he was at home safe in his seat, I remembered him after 5 minutes and he didn't die due to lack of food or over heated in a car. Does that count?!? I hope so, well at least I tell myself that to make myself feel better.
Anyway, as I drove home laughing I had to call someone, so I tried Dave to break the news to him hoping he too would laugh about it and not divorce me due to neglect, no answer. So I called my good friend Melissa to brighten her day and give her a good laugh. She always enjoys a good laugh at my expense.
When I got home, I opened to door to little Grayson sitting there under his blankie whimpering wondering where his crazy mom went. Poor thing. Good think the Dr office is just here is SF and not in Orem!
So lets try this again, we head back to the Dr. office pull in and of course the lot is now FULL. As I am headed in a lady stops and says, "excuse me but can you help me?" Oh my, no I can't help you I'm already 10 minutes late, but instead of saying that, I stop and helped her out then I headed up stairs nearly 15 minutes late (and those who know me well, you know that I hate being late for things). I go in and say, "sorry I know I'm late, if I told you why you might turn me in for child neglect." No response other than, "who do you have?", I tell them, she looks back into the nurses station like can you still get him in?. She then looks back and says, "it's okay, it will just be a minute" and that was it, no ruff morning or lifes crazy - nothing! I felt like an idiot, I shouldn't have said anything cuz now I am thinking to myself she probably thinks I was late cuz I was at home beating my kids or something. Leave it to me, I try to make a situation lighter and I only end up making it worse. Oh well, at least we made it and all was well and alive. End of story.
So go ahead and just give me the mother of the year award, right now before the year is even a 1/12th over - oh my 11 more months to go, who knows what those will bring (has to get better right?!?).

11 comments:

Michelle and Ben said...

Sweet! I never would have guessed that was what you forgot. I am so glad to know other mom's make human mistakes. It makes us all feel better to know that our friends are not perfect. YOu are a good mom--don't forget it especially on the hard days. Love Michelle
P.S. When Ben was 8 years old his mom forgot him at home when they were going to HIS baseball game. HA HA

Ryan Oldham said...

No judgment here whatsoever. I left Gavon in Salem at our new apartment while we were traveling back and forth to Spanish fork picking up our stuff. Well let's be honest it was Ryan, but still. Oh my heck I thought I would die. He was crying so hard when we found him. I thought I would pass out. That is exactly why Heavenly Father sends little angels to watch over these precious little ones. You are a fabulous mom and don't forget it.

Ryan Oldham said...

Oh that is me Melissa

M said...

I DO enjoy a good laugh at your expense! They are always super good laughs, my super good friend!!!

4 Girls and a Guy said...

That makes me feel better! I left Faith in the car in the hot summer for ten minutes while going in to violin lessons with Addy and i was devastated I cried for a day at least and I remember thinking the same thing about the way I think of the moms I hear about on the news who forget about there kids. I guess as long as we know it is a honest mistake huh? My mom says it means we have too much on our minds. How do we not though with young kids and running them here there and everywhere. You are a great mom so dont be to hard on yourself.

Us Egberts said...

All I can say is he he haw haw haw...sorry I did laugh but I'm sure your heart skipped a few beats.....slow down ....make time....whats the rush....All those things that I wish I would have done. love you

Valerie: said...

hahah Oh man, it seems like you have the worst of luck sometimes. Don't worry, its not like you did it on purpose. How come his car seat was in the house and you buckled him in it before you hooked it up in the car? Maybe i should re read it heheh anyhoo I am sure he will forgive you. He seems like a sweet boy! How far away is the doctors office from your house? Does he normally not talk while you guys are in the car, i am surprised you didnt wonder why it was so quiet. Sorry all the questions...just curious. That is my worst fear is that i will leave them in the car and it makes me more scared especially since we live here and the summers are so hot. I am afraid to have another. it seems like it gets even harder. Just take it easy. It seems like you do a lot every day!! Don't worry Candice you are a GREAT mom!!

Candice said...

I always keep the baby carrier in the house and the base is in the truck, when we head out I just plop the carrier in the base.
The Dr office is about 5 min away, just in town.
As far as the noise he is kinda a quite kid unless he is crying. He does good in the car, so it isn't abnormal not to hear him.

M said...

Wait, I must clarify. I laugh WITH you not AT you. Thanks!

Jami said...

Oh my! I broke out in a rolling laugh!! Don't worry I won't judge I'll just be sure not to let you tend my kids!!!!! Just kidding! I love it, it's a good thing we all lose our heads sometimes if we didn't who would we have to share it with???

Gae said...

Well Candice, I can certainly laugh WITH you...I did the same thing when Brandi was three weeks old. Luckily I hadn't got too far and remembered that I did have three children instead of my usual two. I went back and snatched her up before she had developed any lasting memory of the incident to take the the shrinks later in her mom-messed-me-up life...hopefully.